AP. 14 September 2001. IMF, World Bank Delay Annual Meetings.

WASHINGTON -- The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank are
postponing their annual meetings later this month because of security
concerns following the terrorist attacks against the United States,
officials said Friday.

A formal announcement was expected Monday, said officials familiar with
the discussions at the two institutions.

The meetings were set for Sept. 29-30. It is not certain when or if they
will be rescheduled, said the officials, who spoke on condition of
anonymity.

"The fund and the bank have an agreement in principle that a
postponement is warranted, but the executive boards have to take
action," said one official.

Day-to-day operating policy for the agencies is set by separate
24-member executive boards.

"Because of the tragedy, everybody is focused on how we can help the
police forces to make sure they are deployed to the best benefits of
national security," World Bank spokeswoman Caroline Anstey said. "We
don't want to draw police away from other business."

After Tuesday's attacks on New York's World Trade Center and the
Pentagon, Police Chief Charles Ramsey of the District of Columbia urged
the IMF and World Bank to cancel the meetings.

City police had counting on colleagues from other jurisdictions,
including New York City, to help them deal with what they said could be
as many as 100,000 protesters at the meetings.

The AFL-CIO and Friends of the Earth announced on Friday that they were
pulling out of the planned demonstrations.

"For our part, the AFL-CIO will not, in any event, continue our planning
to lead a peaceful mass protest at the meeting, nor will we participate
in any such demonstration," AFL-CIO President John Sweeney said in a
statement.

Friends of the Earth President Brent Blackwelder said, "We have chosen
to demonstrate our commitment to peace and justice by not
demonstrating."

Organizers at Mobilization for Global Justice, one of the umbrella
groups for the protests, said they planned to meet Saturday to determine
whether to go ahead with the demonstrations. An announcement was
expected Monday.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews