The Sydney Morning Herald 25 September 2001

Allies demand proof of bin Laden's guilt

     By Gay Alcorn, Washington Correspondent

Members of the international coalition which the United States is building
for a global struggle against terrorism are increasingly demanding specific
evidence that Osama bin Laden was the mastermind behind the terrorist
attacks of September 11.

The principal secretary of Pakistan's President, General Pervez Musharraf,
yesterday sought proof as part of his Government's struggle to convince the
country that co-operation with the US in military strikes against its
neighbour Afghanistan were justified.

"The US must come up with some evidence to prove that Osama bin Laden was
involved or was behind these terrorist attacks in New York and Washington,"
Mr Tariq Aziz said. "The public in Pakistan and the world at large will only
be satisfied if evidence is produced before the public."

So far, evidence has been frustratingly elusive, despite the largest
investigation in US history, with strong co-operation from authorities in
France, Britain, Germany and beyond.

The Washington Post reported yesterday that four or five al-Qaeda cells
operate in the US; some had done so for several years. The FBI doesn't know
what the groups are doing in the US, and none of their members is known to
have done anything illegal.

Officials have found no link between them and any of the 19 hijackers who
attacked the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.

In a round of appearances on television talk shows, the Bush Administration
revealed it was preparing to present its case.

"I think in the near future we'll be able to put out a paper, a document,
that will describe quite clearly the evidence that we have linking him to
this attack," said the Secretary of State, Mr Colin Powell. "I think his
guilt is going to be very obvious to the world."

The difficulties in gathering firm evidence include the reach of the
organisation, its links with other groups such as the Egyptian Jihad, and
the significant autonomy of its cells in planning attacks. Al-Qaeda has
reportedly trained 11,000 people in camps in Afghanistan, and is believed to
have affiliated groups in about 60 countries.

The Justice Department has charged 33 of the 80 people taken into custody in
relation to the investigation. The detainees, from Egypt, Israel, Pakistan,
Jordan, India, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Kuwait and Syria, were mostly charged
with overstaying their visitor or business visas. The relatively minor
charges are another sign of how tough the inquiry has proved.

So far, there is no information that any of those detained have pointed the
finger at bin Laden. The connections between the attacks and al-Qaeda are
strong, yet circumstantial, such as:

   · His edicts for Muslims to kill Americans and their allies, civilians
and military. The words provide a motive but are not proof of involvement.

  · The suspected organiser of the attacks, Mohamed Atta, had ties to the
Egyptian Islamic Jihad. Its leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, is a close associate
of bin Laden.

  · Telephone conversations intercepted by US and German intelligence agents
indicate al-Qaeda groups knew of the attacks beforehand, with one suspect
overheard to say: "We've hit the targets."

  · Bin Laden associates Tawfiq bin Atash and Fahad al-Quso, both suspected
of involvement with the bombing of the USS Cole last year, met two of the
hijackers in Malaysia in December 1999.

  · Zacarias Moussaoui, arrested before the terrorist attacks, is suspected
of being part of another team of hijackers that failed in its objective on
September 11. French intelligence says he had visited Afghanistan and
Pakistan.

The US National Security Adviser, Ms Condoleezza Rice, said it was clear
al-Qaeda was behind the attacks, but the US would not jeopardise the inquiry
by revealing too much information. "Of course we're going to be laying out a
case, we're going to be making a case to allies and friends. I'll be making
a case to the American people."

The American people are convinced already. A Gallup Poll released yesterday
found 82 per cent want military action against Afghanistan. More than 70 per
cent believe Iraq should be targeted at the same time.