En relación a [L-I] I appreciate this list,
el 27 Sep 01, a las 15:24, pms dijo:

> as a source of valuable info from people of good-will.

I, for one, don't consider myself "people of good-will". I am as ill-willed as
you can imagine against imperialists and capitalists. But I hope this does not
exclude me from your warm words of appreciation...

> But did you ever
> wonder why even the worst imperialist fringe on the Right, like the one I
> believe now has all of the world holding their breathes in fear, never call
> themselves the Attila the Hun guys?

Not only I have. I have also read many works by many interesting people out
there on false consciousness, on alienation, on hegemony, and on exercise of
power. Attila had the greatest opinion of himself, and it is not through his
opinion that you should judge him. By the way, he was much more civilized than
the Roman Empire he was bent to destroy and, alas, could not. Some decades had
to elapse before this cranky machine of human destruction was elliminated from
the surface of Europe. And it was the naughty Barbarians who did it, bringing
in with them a wave of fresh air into a rotten and worm-ridden stinking corpse.

> I think you could put across the best ideas
> of Lenin, or Warren Beatty, or whatever, if we dropped these old buzz-words.

If you mean that quotes don't make consciousness, I agree. But if you mean that
we should hide from our public that we are against capitalism, I don't. What
really matters in politics and history is not _what do people think today_ but
what _could they get to think if they became aware of their objective
situation_ (Zugerechtne Bewusstsein, computable consciousness, I think this is
called in German; please some German cde. to the rescue!). And we are not
neutrals in this respect, what we do has an incidence in what people come to
believe.

> [...]  Abuse of power should be the enemy.  Commonsense, compassion and
> marketing, the goal.  Tax-payer subsidies to big bidness should be a mantra.  I
> think I just saw the meager pension and health benifits I was hoping to get
> slimly by on, in about 15 years, just paid for those nice outfits those
> progressive-looking Pakistani woman are wearing in today's NYT's pms

I am afraid you are just skimming on the surface. Of course all the
propositions above are important. But what really matters is to have people to
understand that there is nothing like a "charitable capitalism", that it is the
wage system and the whole structure that must be replaced by something humane.
This is nothing you can argue for without some theoretical rambling. And this
is so simply because a "mode of production" is, in the first place, a "mode of
production" of a particular kind of human beings by producing the relations
which mould their mental structures. So, we have _two_ jobs, not one, ahead of
us: breaking up those mental structures and tearing down, in so doing, the
tissues of our society. The "bad guys" don't need to explain who they are, nor
why they are who they are, because the whole social structure of human
relations justifies them in the heads of the workers.

Hope I gave an idea.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky