-------- Original Message --------
Subject: CNN Exec Replies to Phony Video Accusation
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:10:43 -0400
From: "Jose G. Perez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Cuba Si <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,Marxism
List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[Following the recent spate or repostings of the charge that CNN played
decade old video claiming it was Palestinians celebrating the Sep. 11
attacks, a person named Craig Gingold did the logical thing, and wrote
CNN.
He was immediately answered by the person in charge of newsgathering for
CNN, Eason Jordan. Gingold asks that his email and Jordan's response be
circulated to all lists where the charge against CNN was aired]

[I do not know Craig Gingold, or if I do I don't recall who he is. But I
have known Eason Jordan, the executive who answered his email, for more
than
a decade, at least casually, as well as observed his work, or the
results of
it, at fairly close range.

[I'm sure if we sat down to have a philosophical or political discussion
Jordan and I might disagree on countless topics. But on the level of the
formal, ethical norms and standards of mainstream journalism, nothing
I've
ever seen him do or say nor anything I have ever heard about him would
raise
the slightest question in my mind about taking his probity for granted
on an
issue like this.

[Jordan is a Georgia native who rose through the CNN. He came into CNN
in
his early 20s and was for five or six years the overnight person on
CNN's
international desk. At the end of the 1980's, as CNN grew and its
international reporting expanded, he was put in charge of the growing
international desk, and is especially associated with initiatives like
making sure CNN kept a reporting presence in Iraq throughout the Gulf
War
and resisting significant pressure from the U.S. and its allies in that
war
to stop reporting Iraq's side of that story.

[There would be, undoubtedly, countless things one might criticize from
left-wing point of view about this reporting, but even so, it must be
admitted that CNN covered Iraq's side in that war to an extent that was
unprecedented in the history of mainstream American journalism.
Similarly,
he was closely associated with things like CNN's establishing a bureau
in
Havana, and was the first journalist from a major "Western" news
organization to report on North Korea, using a small DV cam to record
pictures and reporting about the famine that country was facing 3 or 4
years
back. He has stanchly defended CNN's hiring of Palestinian journalists
and
the airing of their work against a barrage of criticism from the Israeli
press and government. Under Jordan, CNN's international desk became much
more of a truly international desk, with staff members from all over the
world, including many from the third world. A number of people that came
in
essentially as person-on-the-lowest-rung on the international desk (most
famously Christian Amanpour but not just her) have gone on to do some of
the
better on-screen CNN international reporting of recent years, despite
"funny
accents," "bad delivery" and "faces made for radio."

[Unfortunately, U.S. viewers get very little exposure to this reporting,
as
the CNN domestic network (the one everyone thinks of as "the" CNN
although
the truth is CNN International has many, many more subscribers) no
longer
carries much of this material, unlike several years ago, before
Time-Warner
acquired Turner broadcasting.

[An interesting question for CNN to ponder might be why what is
presented as
an unsubstantiated rumor was given such credence. I say unsubstantiated
rumor because the person who made the charge didn't even CLAIM to have
the
proof, and there was a strong suggestion in how he wrote about it that
he'd
never even seen the alleged proof. The person who was said to have the
proof
was an anonymous teacher. And on the *substance* of the events, there is
no
dispute that there were initially some expressions of celebration among
Palestinians when the first reports on the attacks came through.

[I do not believe such a claim would have been as easily accepted say,
eight
or ten years ago.]

[José]

*  *  *