There have been a number of interesting comments -- most extremely
thoughtful --  on the matter of the profoundly regrettable efforts to
revive the draft that are currently underway.

Obviously,  I very much feel that we must oppose any effort to reinstitute
the
draft. And I think it would be a serious mistake to assume that anything
other than a very small minority of GIs can ever be genuinely radicalized
 -- in the context of military society and culture -- given all presently
 foreseeable circumstances..  This is certainly not to underestimate
the great importance of any progress under those always very difficult
and inhibiting circumstances.  But we'd better be very realistic on these
things -- especially in this especially grim and repressive epoch.

The Viet Nam "war" went on for a very long time indeed. A short
generation later, we had the very enthusiastically-backed Gulf War.

I was a volunteer in another era.  Most of those with me were  conventional
draftees
-- and almost all of those were of working class background.  About half
of the minority kids were volunteers, half draftees.  Most middle-class
kids were in colleges and universities -- and were able to maintain
perpetual deferments.

In addition to all of the other very solid reasons against any draft, only
the
most naive would assume class egalitarianism in that context!

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by NaŽshdoŽiŽbaŽiŽ
and Ohkwari'