----- Original Message -----
From: "Sylvia Piterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am attaching an article by Noam Hoffstater. I hope you will find it
> worthwhile to send it to your lists
> Sylvia Piterman
> Peace Now Activist, Jerusalem

This article by Noam Hoffstater, Peace Now General Manager, is based in his
speech at a Peace Now rally in Hebron, on Sunday 22 December 2002.

Leave Hebron Now!

"Peace Now" held a demonstration in Hebron on Sunday, 22 December 2002. Behind
us stood a few of those from the most extremist of the settlers, not very
satisfied that we had arrived to Hebron. On Thursday 19 December, following the
symbolic evacuation of the new outpost these settlers tried to establish on the
very place we intended to hold the demonstration, a police officer asked me, by
telephone: "Is it still relevant?  Do you still want to demonstrate?"  In
Jerusalem, a few days before the rally, I received some friendly advice: ‘Go to
Gaza, demonstrate in front of Arafat’s compound’; even my friends sometimes ask
in bewilderment: "What’s with all these demonstrations? What did you leave
behind in Hebron?"
I first was in Hebron as a soldier. I was there to protect several settlers (who
are still there) as they celebrated the Bar Mitzvah of one of Moshe Levinger’s
sons in the Cave of the Patriarchs. At that ceremony, the father blessed his son
with the words: "May you continue to overturn the stands of the Arabs in the
marketplace."
I want to tell all of those people, and everybody else, “why we go to Hebron”
and "what have we lost there".
We are in Hebron to give the government of settlements and its supporters – the
fanatical settlers - a clear message: We too are committed. The Occupied
Territories are not your private kingdom; they are not your special place for
tyranny, not your special Apartheid Gardens, hidden in the back yard of the
state of Israel. The Israeli opposition to the occupation knows no boundaries.
We will show the entire country and the world this most ugly back yard and after
we exposed it, we will return to Hebron – to ask whether or not it is something
to be ashamed of.
We are in Hebron to deliver a message to Hamas, Jihad and those who share their
ideology- the Goldstiens of Hebron, Itzhar and such: Your path of violence is
killing us. We have stopped dying for you. We have stopped killing in your
service. Every Jew and every Palestinian who has died is blood on your hands –
you, who sanctify land and blood.
We are in Hebron to demand the return of those things that "we left behind in
Hebron":

?        We demand the return of the vision of the democratic state of Israel
that we left behind in Hebron. Therefore, we demand from the Israeli government
to immediately stop ruling another people – here, in Jerusalem, and throughout
the West Bank and Gaza.
?         We demand the return of the vision of the independent Israeli state
that we left behind in Hebron. Therefore, we demand a political and geographic
border for the state of Israel, not a messianic or Biblical one.
?         We demand a return of our humanity that we left behind in Hebron.
Therefore, we demand that no Promenade will be built and no more Palestinian
homes will be destroyed.  We demand an end to the curfew and siege of the
150,000 Palestinians who live in Hebron and of the 3,000,000 Palestinians
throughout the West Bank and Gaza. In the name of our humanity, we stand upon
our right not to deny the humanity of others: not directly and not indirectly;
we stand for their right to live with honor and dignity; their right to provide
for their families, to learn, to receive medical care, to move freely, to
congregate as a nation, to create a state.

For the sake of all of these, we demand the end to the occupation, this accursed
occupation, that is destroying us from within – the same occupation that
Occupied Hebron and the road that we traveled to reach it symbolizes and
actualizes above all else.
Peace is not sacred; it sanctifies: humanity, life, freedom and equality. All
who say "Peace" but deny these basic essences of humanity are denying reality to
embrace a mirage.  We come to Hebron with a commitment to Peace. We come there
in peace. We come in the name of those hundreds who were not allowed to be there
physically because of security restrictions and in the name of those millions –
from Palestine and from Israel- who value and seek Peace. Our commitment will
tear down the border that you tried to create with an army; our path remains the
path of Peace: it will defeat the settlements, the para-military outposts, the
siege and even the pain and the hatred. And we will pave a new road: the road to
Peace; peace between Israel and Palestine.