----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Tracy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 from Toronto Star - torontostar.ca
(http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Arti
cle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1035776869006&call_page=TS_Boom&call_pageid=968867505075
&call_pagepath=Life/Boom)

The Young and The Radical
Youth activism on the rise again

NICK MCCABE-LOKOS
LIFE REPORTER

It's 2003, and as America's war machine gears up for a potential invasion
of Iraq, Saturday's peace demo sees 10,000 people rally in the streets.

Banners whip, people chant and noses run as demonstrators leave Toronto's
city hall, file past the U.S. Embassy on University Ave. heading toward
Convocation Hall at the University of Toronto.

That's where three members of the Radical Cheerleaders are standing in the
snow.

"My mom protested a lot in the '60s ... she tried to keep to the peaceful
protest. She did a lot of things involving like, basically storming
nuclear places," says Claire Hughes, a 15-year-old Grade 10 student at the
Etobicoke School of the Arts.

Following in her mother's footsteps, Hughes got involved with the Radical
Cheerleaders, a group that writes up political cheers, then belts them out
at demonstrations.

In this case, their message is one of peace, and Hughes is standing
shoulder to shoulder with someone who got it and then got active.

Lauren Corindia is also 15 and a student at ESA. This is her first
demonstration.

"They told me that I should get involved," says the Grade 10 student. "I
think it's awesome that people get involved."

Thirty-three years earlier, the same ideals of peace and activism were
spreading like wildfire through the minds of young people.

In 1970, the student protest movement had hit a fever pitch and Jerry
Rubin, radical co-founder of the Youth International Party releases his
book, Do It! Scenarios For A Revolution. Read the book and one thing
becomes obvious: psychedelic anti-establishment rants aside, the ways
people organize to protest have hardly changed. Rubin's scenarios (the
chapter titles in his book, highlighted below) can still be used as a
guide for young people looking to get politically active.

We Cannot Be Co-opted Be- cause We Want Everything

This is about taking a hard-line approach, being militant and dedicated to
radical change.

Josh Zucker, 18, is a member of the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty. He
graduated from Inglenook Community High School, where he organized the
High School Flying Squad, a group of young activists who operated under
the OCAP banner.

Zucker helped organize walkouts at schools across Ontario during an
anti-Mike Harris campaign called by OCAP in the fall of 2000.

"The high school environment or being a youth can often really be a
disempowering kind of position to be in, in the world," says Zucker.

"There's a limit to what high school students can directly address if they
are just addressing education issues. Sometimes it can't get them that
far. They should be involving themselves in larger struggles but coming at
them from a youth perspective."

Zucker sees an exciting example of that going on in New York, where high
school students have organized with the anti-war group Not In Our Name and
staged walkouts against a U.S. invasion of Iraq.

He had some suggestions for introductory reading material for youth
interested in radical thought.

"There's a good book called the Teenage Liberation Handbook, which is
about de-schooling and it's about taking schooling into your own hands.
It's by a woman named Grace Llewellyn."

Two others books Zucker says offer a first step in radical literature, are
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got
Wrong by James W. Loewen and A People's History of the United States: 1492
to Present by Howard Zinn.

Revolution Is Theatre In The Streets

Lost Carnival is a group of radical artists looking to shape art and
culture through political theatre. They apply those same principles to
demonstrations and rallies. At the Summit of the Americas protest and riot
in Quebec city they built a huge octopus and the players/demonstrators
read a Wizard of Oz-like script. At an anti-globalization demo, members
dressed in "death" costumes to stage a mock funeral for a man in a
business suit.

"It adds to the sense of confidence and joy of the movement when there are
things like large puppets and street theatre and that kind of thing," says
Shawn Whitney of Lost Carnival.

Young people should see the opportunities to get active in their daily
lives, he says.

"Whether that's in school, in the community amongst their friends, in
their workplace, we tend to look elsewhere when we're surrounded all the
time by people who want to change the world.

"If there's a protest coming up, just get together with some friends and
come up with an idea, and just see the protest as not just something that
you go to, it's something that you shape."
Every Revolution Needs A Colour TV

Be it painting a banner, speaking to reporters or documenting a protest
for indie media outlets, demonstrations are about getting a message out,
and often the media carry that message.

Few groups do a better job of making sure their events get covered than
People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). Famed for its
celebrity-endorsed anti-fur campaign and costumed fast food demos, PETA
has it down to a science.

According to PETA campaign co-ordinator Andrew Butler, getting a message
covered boils down to simplicity: Clear banners, one cause, and images
that are immediately recognized.

"What applies to the media applies to everyone else. The aim obviously is
to raise public awareness with a demonstration, whether it's presenting an
image for cameras or whether it's presenting an image for the people
you're targeting," Butler says in an interview from PETA headquarters in
Norfolk, Va.

A co-ordinated publicity stunt can be tough to pull off for someone who
has just become politically active and it's helpful to link up with groups
that can help.

"Really key to someone, for anyone who's looking to start out: don't try
and go it alone. Team up with other like-minded people in your area,
perhaps your school or college," Butler says.

Groups like the Toronto Video Activist Collective (TVAC) aren't content to
sit by and wait for television cameras to document acts of protest. They
do it themselves.

David Hermolin of TVAC has taped more than 100 demonstrations. Those
images have been submitted as evidence in court and helped get charges
dropped against people who were arrested at rallies. His first bit of
advice for someone looking to document a demonstration is to go with a
friend who can serve as a lookout and alert you to danger.

"When you're videotaping the action, your range of vision is severely
narrowed because you're watching through a viewfinder or a flip-out
screen," Hermolin says. "That sometimes gives you a sense of distance that
you might not want to have in a situation that gets pretty intense and
potentially violent."

He knows the danger first-hand: while taping a demo his foot was broken by
a police horse he didn't see.
Our Leaders Are Seven- Year-Olds  Don't Trust Anyone Over 40

At some point, responsibility for change falls on the shoulders of
sympathetic politicians. And for years Toronto's lefties have had city
councillor Olivia Chow (Trinity-Spadina) on their side.

"What young people need to do also is ... understand the political
structure and the system so that you can be even more effective," says
Chow, who believes activism outside the mainstream political system is
equally important.

She says youth in the GTA can be politically savvy when the issue is one
they feel passionate about. Chow points to the flood of e-mails and phone
calls to the mayor's office following an attempt to ban raves on city
property.

"We had a huge number of people going after the councillors and the mayor.
In two hours, the mayor's office got 600 e-mails from people saying, `How
dare you ban raves.' We had huge planning sessions ... it was wild."

Chow's advice to young people who feel passionately about an issue is to
make contact with government at the local level. She says a good place to
start is with the Toronto Youth Cabinet.

"There are advantages to go through things in a formal way ... I'm
actually reaching the city officials and I'm actually doing it in a way
that I feel gets heard," says Estee Fresco, an 18-year-old member of the
Toronto Youth Cabinet.

"As young people, often it's difficult for us," Fresco says. "Especially,
one of the difficulties we face is we feel that our voice isn't heard. And
that decisions being made on behalf of young people aren't actually coming
from the young people themselves ... I really feel it's a way for me to
get my voice out."
I Agree With Your Tactics  I Don't Know About Your Goals

This was Rubin's way of saying it's important to have diverse causes
represented in a larger protest movement. The foremost example of that was
the World Trade Organization protests in Seattle, which were hailed for
bringing together just about every group under the sun, from trade
unionists to anti-racists to environmentalists like Greenpeace.

"I think it's important, because if we are actually going to get a message
across to politicians and other decision-makers that a population
disagrees with a course of action, if we are going to be effective, than
we're going to have to show broad-based support," says Peter Tabuns,
executive director of Greenpeace Canada.

"So if you have a demonstration that is clearly just one organization with
one viewpoint you're far easier to dismiss ... a very diverse range of age
groups, a very diverse range of Canadians, politicians have to deal with
it in a very different way."

Young people who feel strongly about various issues, gender equality for
example, should not feel excluded from taking part in an anti-war
demonstration, says Tabuns.

His advice for a first-timer: "Keep your eyes open and keep calm and be
prepared to meet people around you."

In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht