Hallo Comrades,

The taunts of "Go Back to Russia" to which I was subjected at street-corner
meetings 50-years or so ago never hit home because I never had any desire to
go to the Soviet Union and, indeed,  felt sure I would not survive there
very well.... [but I was prepared to argue its case to the end] -  but, of
course, that is just as beside the point as so much of current discussion of
countries other than our own.

I am English, in the tradition of Oliver Cromwell and John Milton, of Robert
Kett and John Ball, indeed of the Pilgrim Fathers of Mayflower relown, and
of, in later years of Tom Paine,
William Cobbett, William Morris as well as Karl Marx, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin,
Iosif Vissarionovich Stalin, AND Willie Gallacher, Harry Pollitt, and so
many more.

I have been involved in earlier campaigns for Colonial Freedom as well as
many peace campaigns - against the war in Korea, the war in VietNam as well
as those more recent ones concerned with Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and now
Iraq - and it was not my fault that my volunteering for the Armoured Corps
in the fight against Hitler just gave me a view of Italy and EGYPT after
WWII - I was evidently just too young.  But nevertheless I learnt a lot -
even if it was just the kids in Ismailia shouting at me (an English officer)
"Go Home Inglesi Bastard" in 1947.....  [But in a visit in 1978 to lecture
at Ein Shams University in Cairo I was intensely moved when some Egyptian
soldiers accosted me with the question "Are you American?" and on the reply
"No, English" they gripped my hand and filled it with a lot of baked
sunflower seeds - having no Arabic I could not converse, but that action
said a great deal].

Of course, many of the names I list above, like all of us, had to some
extent "feet of clay" - but we live in their tradition and it is futile to
dwell on past disputes UNLESS they really have lessons for us today...

The fight today is PRIMARILY against Bush and Blair - and I have seen the
latest US internet slogan "Drop BUSH not BOMBS".

This gives fantastic joy to an old revolutionary like me - DEVELOP it
COMRADES  !!

Comradely greetings,
Paddy
NFHS Member #5594