Okay, if you don't reject the general right of Albanian Kosiovar
selfdetermination we obviously don't have a problem here. Before I start to
polemicize let me however ask you what you mean by 'orthodoxy' here. If you
think that the reason why I support this right (which does not mean that I
support the UCK today even militarily let alone politically)is that I think
Lenin and/or Trotzky said so and so you are wrong. Both have erred on a number
of issues now and again, but I still think that the logic of Lenin's and
Trotzky's practical approach to this question is convincing. Let me just say
that I don't see that we can build an effective front against the worldwide
capitalist system and the imperialist forces if we don't support causes we
regard as just ones only because imperialism tries to instrumentalize them. How
do you think we can break the masses from imperialism if we allow them to get
the impression that it is imperialism which is in favour of their
democratic rights while the 'left' is supporting their immediate oppressors?
This is for me the fundamental issue. We are not at all talking about any
progressivness in new national states or (apart from the point that they may
draw hitherto unengaged masses into politics) of bourgeois nationalism as a
solution to anything. The crucial question is how to win over the masses who
fight for some immediate democratic goals and not let them be manipulated by
bourgeois misleaders. Is this question a rigid blueprint from orthodoxy?
A. Holberg