On Sun, Dec 31, 2017, at 14:04, John J Bloomfield wrote:
> Hi Jys,
>
> Thanks for the response - are you part of the dev team?

Not for the lensfun software itself, just one of the monkeys who create the
profiles from the submitted images. The git repository linked to earlier is
only for this purpose at this point.

> I can see that the files are available but I am a working photographer
> rather than a techie so I hesitate to use those files.

The worst case would likely be that your software simply refuses to use one, if
the software isn't using the most recent version of the API (which isn't really
all that recent).

> I use ACDsee and Affinity photo both of which rely on lensfun so I've only
> recently become aware of the database when a lens profile I needed wasn't
> available - but it was listed on lesnfun - it was actually really simple
> using that tarball to update the software.

There's a python script included in the source and available on most Linux
distros that I believe depends on the same tarball, so hopefully it will
continue to be updated. All of this is being maintained by people in their
spare time, and particularly around this time of year things can lag behind.

> I have now though just upgraded
> to a Pentax K-1 and there are very few lens profiles available. I have a
> load of lenses so I was going to just drive down to a local retail park and
> shoot a set of calibration images for each - then hopefully they'll filter
> through to the tarball and I can update my software but from the thread
> where the tarball was first mentioned it is unclear if it was just an idea
> or if it is being maintained (and indeed how to tell when it is updated)

If you mean the upload form at http://wilson.bronger.org/calibration then yes,
that results in the files being stored on a server where one of the calibrators
(possibly myself) can use them to create the profile when they have some time
to devote to the task (zooms can be a lot of work, primes not so much). There's
been some discussion (some off-list) about adding full-frame versions of some
of the Pentax APS-C lenses to the database, since some of them appear to be
useful in that context. I'll describe some of the things that need to be
considered when doing this kind of calibration in another mail to the list when
I get a chance.

> I would really like to help strengthen the database with profiles for
> Pentax as it seems all the real competition for Adobe products rely on it
> and I don't really want to switch to Adobe - I like the stuff I use. (I do
> hope that they've donated to the project as they so clearly rely on it)

 I don't believe there's been any contact between the project and developers of
commercial software, but it might be a nice gesture if commercial developers
using the database offered to provide some additional hosting/maintenance for
database packages... as a customer who finds the feature useful, you could
suggest it. ;)

Meanwhile, to avoid redundant effort, you could list the lenses that you are
willing to provide calibration images for, since there's been at least one
other Pentax user interested in the same thing here recently (it sounded like
they might have trouble locating suitable targets).

--
jys