Edward, I want to make you aware of some work that I have done to
improve (imo) the use of Vim with Leo.  It may be of interest to you
as you consider the scope of your work on providing Vi support within
Leo.  With some modifications to the "Open With" plugin, I have
implemented support for the use of Vim's tabs and the automatic
placement of the Vim cursor on the same line as the Leo cursor wen the
file is first opened in Vim.

Using the tab feature within Vim results in each node, opened by Leo
in Vim, being allocated its own tab in the same Vim window.  This
simplifies multi-file editing and keeps the workspace cleaner.  To
reduce the size of each tab's label, I modified the code to generate
temporary files and configured Vim to provide tab labels that display
only the node's headline and a tooltip for each tab that shows the
node's ancestors.

In addition, I have also configured Vim to always open at the same
screen location and to automatically fold any sentinel lines seen in a
file.

These changes have given me a very usable Vi capability that works
well with Leo.  As a result, it is not as important to me that Leo
have a full featured Vi editor emulated.  Now that 4.4.8 has been
released, do you have time to take a look at the changes and, perhaps,
mainline them into the Leo product before diving into your Vi emulator
project?

Regards,
TL