On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, I think we should nail the UI portion first. The rest is
> easy, it's just some convention we agree on.

I agree.

> I think I'd like to allow
> the plugins to manage the whole ui part themselves by providing a
> custom QWidget, instead of providing a few select "hardcoded" editable
> field types. E.g. some plugin may want to draw in the plugin area.

I'm a bit confused by the plural "plugins".  I assume a single
edit_attributes plugin is what we are discussing.  But perhaps
special-purpose plugins, with their own needs for gui interaction, would
want more sophisticated interfaces.

> Perhaps what we are looking for here is just a new (optional)
> QTabWidget or QStackedWidget under the body. We have the log tabwidget
> already, but IMO that's a bit "monopolized" by the log pane.

Why not use the log pane?

> The plugins would manage their own QWidget and populate it any way
> they wish. Leo would provide a mechanism to hide/show the whole
> "plugin area", and possibly remove the unnecessary tabs from there.
>
> If a plugin needs a simple "field editor" type UI, we can provide one
> by a library that follows one of the proposed conventions (_edit uA,
> ...)

These seem like reasonable approaches.