On Oct 8, 9:35 am, "Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this thread will, from time to time, highlight primary scientific research
> articles.

I recently had one of those Aha moments about Science Magazine, namely
that just about *every* article in it could be considered as exciting
as any Aha I've ever had :-)  Indeed, the cleverness, doggedness and
significance of each and every article is there to be seen, if I take
the trouble to look.  As a result, I've become a science junkie: there
is no way I'll ever get enough.  It's time to subscribe to Nature :-)

Here are some recent great articles

Part 1: non-controversial

Persistent Currents in Normal Metal Rings
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/326/5950/272
deals with a quantum mechanical prediction I had never heard of
before.

What interests me is the fantastic experimental skill involved in
measuring tiny currents at low temperatures.  The authors measured
current using mechanical single-crystal silicon cantilevers in a
liquid helium bath(!)

Part 2: controversial

The deniers want to spread confusion and doubt.  Here are some
antidotes:

Both of the World’s Ice Sheets May Be Shrinking Faster and Faster
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/326/5950/217-a.pdf

A perspectives article:
Monsoons and Meltdowns
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/326/5950/240.pdf

QQQ
The breakthrough of Cheng et al. is that they have achieved
unprecedented dating precision, and correlate the monsoon record with
ice core and marine records, providing all three with an accurate time
scale for the past four ice age terminations. They can thus compare
the precise timing of meltdowns with potential causes, such as the
amount of sunshine (insolation) that fell on the northern ice sheets
in the melting season from June to August, or the concentration of
atmospheric CO2 known from trapped air bubbles in ice cores.
QQQ

Btw, the word "insolation" is one of those words you want to remember.

And here is the actual research article (which I highly recommend)
corresponding to the perspectives article:

Ice Age Terminations
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/326/5950/248

The Abstract:
QQQ
230Th-dated oxygen isotope records of stalagmites from Sanbao Cave,
China, characterize Asian Monsoon (AM) precipitation through the ends
of the third- and fourthmost recent ice ages. As a result, AM records
for the past four glacial terminations can now be precisely correlated
with those from ice cores and marine sediments, establishing the
timing and sequence of major events. In all four cases, observations
are consistent with a classic Northern Hemisphere summer insolation
intensity trigger for an initial retreat of northern ice sheets.
Meltwater and icebergs entering the North Atlantic alter oceanic and
atmospheric circulation and associated fluxes of heat and carbon,
causing increases in atmospheric CO2 and Antarctic temperatures that
drive the termination in the Southern Hemisphere. Increasing CO2 and
summer insolation drive recession of northern ice sheets, with
probable positive feedbacks between sea level and CO2.
QQQ