On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 4:02 am, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <off...@riseup.net>
> wrote:
>
> However, I am beginning to feel uncomfortable with identity as the
> basis of user-centric sharing.  Instead, I am intrigued with sharing
> by *relationship*.  Relationships (user-defined patterns) change as
> data (content) changes, but perhaps this is more a benefit than a
> problem.

You are very far from moving in this direction technically, but I
thought I'd give you a few notes related to this bit of musing that
might lead to some useful reflections and insights:

If you fully specify that relation, you can do a few helpful things.
Note all the pieces though:

Instead of an identity for a node, let's say you have identity for
aspects that define the context in which the node is being used.   . .
. or better yet, for the attributes of a node.

When you do this, nodes and their attribute values have specific
context, and may be used as clones.

The general abstractions I use to specify such a context are Use type,
Link type, Use, and Link.  "Link" is the analogue for a node here --
or at least the analogue for the header line -- other things would be
attributes of the link.

If each of those aspects have their own identity (gnx's), you can

1) reuse a node/link in various contexts; and
2) specify that attributes and their values have "scopes of relevance"
-- i.e., a "BodyText" attribute of a node/Link may be relevant to
anywhere that particular node/link is used, or any context that uses
that link type but not that particular link, or uses that link type
along with a certain use type ("Leo Outline").

(Added to these are abstractions that I use to specify shared state:
Space, Location, Standpoint -- you can probably infer their basic
implications.)

This is not a "Leo file" kind of implementation, but it might give you
ideas, or perhaps organize conceptualizing you're going through now.

I set this up in a database on an old hard drive that presently
offline.  I stopped working on it sometime after I got a very
rudimentary command line working, and was trying to code the
distribution algorithm across servers.  I just describe it here
because it might help.  You don't want to see the code, believe me.
And you're not going to  be interested in the data structure I
developed for it, which I am pretty much able to set up from off the
top of my head at any time.  But the concepts I was working on might
be interesting, at least to tickle interesting brain cells.

Seth

Scopes of relevance like this let you