> However, the transition to Ubuntu unity was a step backward.  I don't
> know what happened, but my wireless networking broke.

This happened to me too, going from ubuntu 10 to 11, only I had video
troubles too. The latter I mostly sorted out in a day, having had a
similar run-in a year or so previous. I gave up on the wireless after
days and days of hair pulling. This was in stark contrast of my
experience from 9.10 to 10.4, which was beautiful.

I'm now on Win7 for all our home machines (3) and am happier for it,
but saddened by that. I absolutely love debian/ubuntu package
management. If it were just me I'd have stuck it out, but the family
has no interest in learning linux and being on island in a sea of PCs
and Macs, and I've lost the energy to  support multiple platforms. I
keep an ubuntu VM so I can "apt-get happy" whenever I am really
frustrated with Windows. ;-)

-matt