On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:18:22 AM UTC-7, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM, F.S. <speec...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> > c) is the lack of dabbrev support for now. codewise is impressive but
> when I
> > am writing new code dabbrev really makes it easier to use meaningful
> names.
>
> We'll fix this today, you and I.

Wow that was fast! That will make it much easier for me to use Leo as THE
source code editor.

> > a) is the strength of Leo is also a weakness. In Emacs since the text is
> not
> > structured every buffer is also an editor. I can easily dump program
> output
> > into a buffer and do post processing or impromptu search. In Leo the
> outline
> > is the central focus. For example I don't know how to search for things
> in
> > the log pane if that capability does exist.
>
> In Leo, every *node* is equivalent to an Emacs buffer.  Just dump
> something into a new node, and search that node.  You can copy text
> from the log pane using Ctrl-V.

Good point. In Emacs I can dump comma (or some other delimiter) separated
data into a buffer and run org-table on it and viola I get the data all
nicely tabulated. With Leo scripting this should be doable too. However in
Emacs it is easy to attach arbitrary action to any text through buttons
that can be placed anywhere in any buffer. So for example if one of my
table entry is a large block of html text I can place a button in its place
and only render the text somewhere if I click on the button. I can use this
to interact with large tree like data structures as well so I can easily
expand or contract nodes and take actions associated with the nodes. In Leo
I could map the same structure to outline nodes? But that seems a bit heavy
handed as these are for transient data exploration.

> b) is the lack of an inferior python (or other language) processes to
> enable
> > REPL development. Scripting is nice but I don't really want to run real
> code
> > in my editor python, with name pollution and real possibilities of
> > occasional crashes.
>
> There is no name pollution in a Leo script, unless you go out of your
> way to pollute Leo, by assigning to an attribute of c, g or p.
>
> Python crashes in Leo scripts have absolutely no effect on Leo itself.
>
> I have large data sets that take time to load and process into Python
memory. Somehow it feels hazardous to load them into the same process as my
editor :-) But it is also more than just running user code in a separate
process:
With Emacs, I can easily run the inferior Python interactively through the
comint where I get the Python prompt. With Leo I can simulate this by
writing code in a script node and redirect the output to the log pane.
With Emacs I can also write/modify code in any source buffer and test the
code out immediately by incrementally sending them to the interpreter
(through eval string, eval region or eval function/class def). This is
tremendously effective for exploratory coding.* Can I do something along
the same line in Leo?

* Yes that does mess up the namespace that may have to be taken care of
later but it is well worth the effort. I also plan to, with Leo's help,
keep source codes in as few files as possible. I prefer Lisp style large
top level symbol table over arbitrary modules esp as one can already wrap
things in a class if necessary.

Leo could use better support for running scripts in a separate