On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:06:22 -0400
Jacob Peck <gatesph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/30/2013 12:00 PM, duf...@gmail.com wrote:
> > As for PIM features, a good tagging system would be one of the first
> > requirements.
> >
> +35 for tagging (not that I have that many votes...)

I think a good tagging system would be very useful for a lot of things,
todo, but also lots of applications no one's though of yet.

In principle it's as simple as p.v.u['_tags'] = a list of strings which
are the tags for this node.  Then it's all about GUI design for
displaying / adding removing / managing tags.  Also perhaps a table of
description, long_name, short_name, color,
where long_name is the tag string stored in p.v.u['_tags'], description
is a more detailed description (optional), and short name is an
abbreviation, perhaps displayed (colored color) in a new column in the
tree pane.  And of course c.tags.nodes_with_tags(tag_list) etc.

> Additional nice features would be reports from todo.py about past-due
> and soon-to-be-due todo items.  Additionally, the ability to schedule
> recurring tasks.
>
> But everything in the above paragraph can be accomplished with
> scripts... it'd just be nice to have it in core.

There's a distinction between 'core' and 'plugins included with
the distribution', where it might be appropriate to keep some of this
in the latter.  But I think you were drawing a distinction between
'batteries included' (~core) and something you need to dig around and
find to add in.

Cheers -Terry