I have been trying to customize the appearance of the user interface (only
colors and font sizes) by tinkering with myLeoSettings.leo.
The problem is that this process *looks* straightforward, but it isn't.
Once you set the value of a parameter in myLeoSettings.leo, you assume that
the value you specified will be effective the next time you restart the
program. But I am discovering that it is not so.
It seems that the same key/value pair is present at multiple places within
the myLeoSettings.leo file. My understanding is that the very last time
that one key/value pair is read will override whatever comes before. Please
confirm if indeed it is so.
Now, I really don't understand what is the point of having the same setting
at multiple locations (and I am not talking about clones). It is very
frustrating to spend time setting some values only to discover that the
same values are overridden by some other settings stored down below, in the
same file.

Could someone please simplify the mySettings.leo file, cutting off the
useless branches?

A streamlined settings layout would have a key/value pair appear only once.