On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:09:53 -0800 (PST)
wgw <wgwin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not a developer (though I have some aspirations in that direction), but
> I would say: this is great, and no distraction at all. It is useful for me
> to see how code can  be polished.
>
> At the same time, to facilitate the incorporation of tweaks into the code,
> you might consider setting up a bzr account. That would make it a snap to
> fold your optimizations into Leo.

The benefit of optimizations is always hard to measure, unless you, um,
measure it.  If you know there's a bottleneck that's slowing things
down and can target that, that's probably going to help.  Optimizing
code that's called very infrequently or accounts for a tiny proportion
of runtime may not have a noticeable effect.

So then it becomes a questions of clarity and safety.  In the tab
expansion case I guess the simpler version would be clearer - I also
guess it wasn't used because str.expandtabs because not everyone's
aware of it, I wasn't.

The safety thing is a question of what the code does.  Changes in
optional plugins are usually relatively safe.  Changes in core code,
particularly load/save have to be approached much more carefully.
Where possible unit tests can make changes safer.

For changes via bzr - we've never really pinned down policy on this,
whatever Edward says ;-)  Inkscape has a "two patches reviewed and
accepted and you get commit access" policy.  In terms of how to submit
a patch for those two reviewed cases, or whatever, creating you own
branch on launchpad and generating a merge request is probably the most
convenient, for reviewers anyway.

Cheers -Terry