On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:03:57 -0800
Matt Wilkie <map...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To my admittedly neophyte eye, the "expressed intention" of the compute
> leading whitespace change is clear enough.

Having just coincidentally and independently calculated indentation
depth for "two-space" indented text as
  level = (len(line)-len(line.lstrip())) / 2
I would have to agree :)  (my input was more controlled, so I could
make the implied assumptions).

> The significant points are a)
> there is a significant performance gain (some data for that now provided),

That needs to be measured in actual use though, not standalone.  A 100x
speed increase in a piece of code that's only responsible for 1% of
the time the user spends waiting for 'X' to happen doesn't justify
itself based on speed gained.  Not sure how much user time expand-tabs
consumes in load/save.

Cheers -Terry