On 12/11/2013 7:16 AM, Edward K. Ream wrote:
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM, adrians <nman...@gmail.com <mailto:nman...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I guess it wasn't clear from my previous post that Xiki is
    basically Acme. The thing is that it both of these use the mouse
    to achieve quite a bit of their functionality, and, from another
    thread, I see that Edward is against mouse use. I'm with Jacob on
    this, Edward - please don't ignore the users who like using a
    mouse. Especially when using the mouse really makes sense. See the
    Xiki/Acme to find out why.

A recent discussion emphasized the fact that it would be a bad idea to *forbid* using the mouse in Leo.

By exactly the same reasoning, it is bad to *require* using the mouse in any editor. In fact, the situation for Acme is worse. For many, people, including me, using the mouse is simply not an option: it would destroy my mouse-hand shoulder. It already has, in fact.

Exactly!  Extremes in either direction are bad.
An editor that *requires* using the mouse should be considered a danger to public health. This is *not* simply a matter of personal preference. So, you either show me how to do everything interesting in Acme with keystrokes, or you write me off the list of potential Acme users, and you resign yourself to the fact that I shall never incorporate those features into Leo.

Fair point.  Looking around for acme keyboard shortcuts netted me only:
Ctrl + X: snarf (i.e. cut)
Ctrl + C: zerox (i.e. copy)
Ctrl + V: paste

I can understand why the acme team completely eschewed the keyboard, but you are correct in indicating a usability issue for those with health issues or who simply lack a proper three-button mouse (i.e. most MacBook users, or laptop users in general).
Of course, Leo plugins can use the mouse in any way they like, so this is not an absolute prohibition of those features.

I intend to write an acme-mode plugin at some point here (I intend to write a lot of things I never get around to, so don't quote me on this!). It will also provide keyboard-only ways of doing things -- I'm aiming to capture the features of acme, not the 'mouse is king' spirit.

-->Jake
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "leo-editor" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to leo-editor+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.