Not sure I fully understood the problem, but maybe there is another way.

What if every definition were to be included as a new node, using @others
for the code beneath.

Then, since that would generate more nodes than the user would want, we
could use a "full view" pane or mode, that would show all the code on the
subtree of the selected node, that is, the value of p.script in that
selected node.

This way we could keep an structured way of imported functions and
everything, and the convenient way of being able to see what should be seen
together by just clicking the parent node.