On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Fidel N <fidelpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What if every definition were to be included as a new node, using @others
> for the code beneath.

​On second thought, this could work.  It's ugly, but we could define an
organizer node that would include leading and trailing definitions.  In our
example, instead of a single node containing:

    anIvar= False
    def spam(self):
        '''A method using anIvar.'''
    foo = spam

we would have an organizer node (no @others needed) containing three
nodes.  Like this (headlines only, as would be created by the importers)::

+ spam, etc.
  - anIvar = False
  - spam
  - foo = spam

It's ugly, but it does preserve the essential relationships.  Note that the
user would have to create the organizer node.   BTW, the organizer (spam,
etc.) must have a distinct headline from its children.

Moreover, the same approach could probably be used to organize the initial
declarations node.

Hmm.  This also kinda deals with the problem of missing section
references.  @organizer nodes remember the order of the nodes in the
outline.  The user is unlikely to change that order by mistake outside of
Leo. If some way can be put in place to disallow moving children within
Leo, we would have most of the effect of section references.  Again, not
elegant, but it could work...

In short, replacing @file with @auto isn't quite dead yet.  Having said
this, doing it will always be difficult engineering.  I'll see if I can
summon the energy to confront what is needed ;-)