On Wed, 28 May 2014 20:32:22 -0700 (PDT)
duf...@gmail.com wrote:

> Terry, I know that you are busy, but... is there any chance you could
> implement some of these changes in the *default* settings (after
> Edward's approval, of course):
>
> 1) as mentioned above, defining the background color of the currently
> active pane as different from the default background color of the
> other panes. The red line can stay, of course. At least for me, what

Perhaps you could run an informal poll on the list here to get input on
this.  Personally I don't have / want any active frame highlighting,
but I'm ok with turning it off anyway, so I don't have an opinion.
See if there's a consensus that something like dimming the background of
inactive panes would be ok with most people.

> 2) defining a default keybinding for easily toggling on and off the
> full-screen mode of the current body text. If I understand your posts
> correctly, the commands for this functionality are now in place, so
> it would just be a matter of making the keybinding available by
> default.

To which currently unused key would you like it bound?  It's always a
challenge to find unused keys.

You're referring to the new free-layout-zoom command, which I'm finding
very useful :-) for zooming not only the body but also the log (long
messages) and the tree (long headlines).

> Please don't underestimate the impact that such small improvements
> can make on the UI usability and likability.
> I would also make other suggestions, but I am not sure to what extent
> my constant nagging for UI improvements would be welcome... ;)

Preference tweaking is tricky, seeing preferences are personal - I
think you said you were uncomfortable messing with the settings, but I
encourage you to try some changes, Settings -> Personal settings
creates a file "myLeoSettings.leo" in $HOME/.leo, if you mess it up
completely you can always delete it and start fresh.  For example for
the current items you could do the following in that file.

Add, under the @settings node, a node

@data qt-gui-user-style-sheet

with this body content:

QTextEdit#log-widget, LeoQTreeWidget#treeWidget, QTextEdit#richTextEdit {
  background: pink;
}
QTextEdit:focus#log-widget, LeoQTreeWidget:focus#treeWidget,
QTextEdit:focus#richTextEdit {
  background: green;
}

and in the node @settings / @keys / @shortcuts add something like

free-layout-zoom = Ctrl-Alt-L

to the body to bind pane zoom to Ctrl-Alt-L

Cheers -Terry