On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 10:06:09 -0700 (PDT)
duf...@gmail.com wrote:

> As an alternative to a restructuring of the settings, I propose a
> menu-based simplified access to the settings, which will let the user
> zoom-in to the relevant part of the settings file. The  most commonly
> used settings (font color and size, background color, etc.) would
> have an entry in the menu, and upon clicking on an entry you would be
> able to edit that part directly.

That is the current plan :-)

E.g. from the Settings menu:

Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts

would open myLeoSettings.leo at the appropriate place (copying nodes in
from LeoSettings.leo if needed), so the user would be looking at a node
with the following children:

@string body-text-font = Courier New
@string log-text-font = Courier New
@int body-text-font-size = 17px
@int log-text-font-size = 12px

etc. - something along those lines.  The "pick-font" button I just
added is just a convenience so the user can find font names on their
system easily.

The body of the node with those children would have some simple
instructions, probably "Click the reload-styles button after making
changes here".

Once the infrastructure's set up we should be able to build out the
Settings menu entries quite quickly.  By infrastructure I mean the
Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts entry knowing which node to copy from
LeoSettings to myLeoSettings, if it's not already copied, where the
stylesheet needs to be, etc. etc.