On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 04:39:06 -0700 (PDT)
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, July 14, 2014 2:00:48 PM UTC-5, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM, 'Terry Brown' via leo-editor
> > <leo-editor@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I asked a vague question about the status of
> > > vc.find_absolute_unl_node and vc.find_position_for_relative_unl
> > > the other day, what I meant was, what do they do that
> > > g.recursiveUNLFind doesn't?
> >
> > Thanks for this reminder.  I'll look into g.recursiveUNLFind.
> >

> As an exercise, I am going to try to find something simpler
> pd.find_position_for_relative_unl.  I don't believe child indices
> have much hope of improving matches during @auto: I would rather have
> links break than link to the wrong node.

Use of indices by g.recursiveUNLFind is optional though, so there may
still be duplicated functionality.  I won't have time today, but I can
try and make g.recursiveUNLFind a bit clearer, if that helps.

On a different topic, somewhat.  It seems that the uA persisting code
really should try and save uA info. on nodes it can't match, otherwise
you're making an assumption the uA info. isn't really valuable.  In
some cases it may not be, but you can't assume that's always true.  So
what I was thinking was that the orphan nodes could have an UNL (in
their uAs :-) which points to the best guess imported node, perhaps
with a couple of helper commands `orphan-node-goto-best-guess`,
`orphan-node-copy-uA`, and `orphan-node-paste-uA`

Not that this needs to be done immediately or anything, I haven't even
played with the new code yet.  It seems to me that the biggest payoff
may be the persisting gnxs, really.