>   I've never use Leo to read long chunks of text linearly...

Exactly, neither did I until I decided to study my public exam within Leo

> So there are misbehaviors in both implementations. I don't immediately

Yes, I also noticed what you mention, but didn't think this had the
possibility to replace the current implementation so didn't bother.
A fix for that would be this:

scroll_changed = c.frame.body.bodyCtrl.getYScrollPosition()
lines = c.frame.body.bodyCtrl.linesPerPage()
cursor_position = 0
for number in range(lines):
 cursor_position=cursor_position+1
 c.executeMinibufferCommand("next-line")
 if not scroll_changed == c.frame.body.bodyCtrl.getYScrollPosition():
  break #We reached the first line outside the current view of the text.
 if cursor_position > (lines * 2):
  break # Too many lines, we are either in the bottom of the document

for number in range(lines-1):
 c.executeMinibufferCommand("next-line")

#Now you can optionally go back "lines-cursor_position" lines to put the
cursor where it 'was'.

Fidel.