On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:04:59 AM UTC-5, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> The only solution is to transliterate QSyntaxHighlighter into Python!
> [The new code] is not connected *in any way* to Leo's actual code.

It is now :-) The python_qsh switch at the start of qtGui.py determines
whether to use the PythonQSyntaxHighlighter code.

It took less than an hour to get the code so that it didn't crash on
startup.  It was almost too easy.  I just loaded Leo, fixing crashes until
there weren't any more.  Hehe.  Just do it, indeed.  This approach would be
10 to 100 times harder in C.

The PQSH class now controls Leo's syntax-coloring code *exactly* as QSH
did/does.  Amazing. At no time has there been a hard crash, though that
could happen later :-)  It's a hoot to trace through coloring from the
"other side", that is, from the controlling code rather than the controlled
code.

No coloring actually happens yet, but there are a few obvious
transliteration problems.  It may happen this evening.  BTW, the code keeps
getting simpler.  It's almost embarrassing how little QSH actually does.

For now, though, it's time for a walk.