Thanks for the svg version. I tend to like the pixelated lion head as well,
the whiskers poking out past the frame add some dynamism, something large
about to break forth, plus there's a sense of play that appeals to me. It
works well for an icon but I think for a splash screen it's a bit too rough
(personal opinion. Edward's the one who carries the show here though ;-)

...hmm, maybe I can talk my kids into building a Minecraft replica of the
icon. Then it would be both retro and modern!

I created an enhancement ticket to help track this,
https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/51

-matt