Well, as far as I am concerned my file "leo splash.svg" is definitely free
of any copyright,
but the original image of the lion head appears to be still on sale as a
royalty free stock image by the vendor Dreamstime
(http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photos-tribal-lion-image3490018).
You can see the watermark with the dreamstime logo in the image used on
leoeditor.com.
The author of the image, nicknamed Sebast1an
(http://www.dreamstime.com/sebast1an_info), has made available an Adobe
vector format, easily convertible to svg.

In my humble opinion, however, Leo deserves an original logo to strengthen
its identity and increase awareness.
Perhaps it could be worth to hire the services of a professional graphics
designer; as an example, a customized logo can be bought from $395 on
fotolia.com (http://www.fotolia.com/Info/Logos).
The cost could be covered by donations (I would be happy to contribute);
perhaps one could try with some crowdfunding on websites such as
indiegogo.com (there are many).

Alternatively, one could call for free art contributions from the Leo (or
other open) community. Again, I would be happy to participate.
I would also be happy to help in processing any graphics and create
splash/icons with the new logo in any required format, both for Windows
(ico) and Linux (png, svg) and for some popular Linux icon themes (such as
Numix).
Just a few thoughts....