On Sunday, October 12, 2014 3:10:25 AM UTC-5, Matt Wilkie wrote:

> I just tested this new Chocolatey recipe. It works on my Win7 laptop, but
> since it's had many versions of python and related installed it can't be
> considered a clean test.
>
> From a user profile with admin privileges open a command shell and
> (careful of linewrap) run the below. It:
>
>  - downloads and installs Chocolately
>  - choco installs commandline nuget, x64 python & pyqt4, pip
>  - pip installs Leo from github
>  - runs Leo
>
> The resulting C:\Python27 tree can be copied elsewhere and Leo (and any of
> python) run from there (see last line).
>
> This is all good news. The bad news? The folder is ~235mb.
>

> @powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted ^
>    -Command "iex ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadString('
> https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))"
>
> SET PATH=%PATH%;%systemdrive%\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin
> cinst nuget.commandline
> cinst pyqt4
> cinst pip
> pushd C:\Python27\
> .\Scripts\pip install
> https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master.zip
> popd
> move C:\Python27 D:\Python27
> pushd D:\Python27
> pythonw -c "import leo.core.runLeo; leo.core.runLeo.run()"
>
> ------
> Leo Log Window
> Leo 4.11 final, build 20141011154346, Sat Oct 11 15:43:46 CDT 2014
> Not running running from a cloned git repo
> Python 2.7.2, PyQt version 4.8.5
> Windows 7 AMD64 (build 6.1.7601) SP1
> leoID=maphew (in C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox\.leo)
> load dir: D:\Python27\lib\site-packages\leo\core
> global config dir: D:\Python27\lib\site-packages\leo\config
> home dir: C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox
> reading settings in
> D:\Python27\lib\site-packages\leo\config\leoSettings.leo
> reading settings in C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox\.leo\myLeoSettings.leo
> reading settings in C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox\.leo\workbook.leo
> reading: C:\Users\Matt\Dropbox\.leo\workbook.leo
> ------

Hmmmmm.  Somehow choco rebooted me.  And hosed Python27.

Rerunning the entire script give me this:

QQQQQ
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>@powershell -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted ^
More?    -Command "iex ((new-object
net.webclient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))"
Downloading http://chocolatey.org/api/v2/package/chocolatey/ to
C:\Users\EDREAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\chocInst
all\chocolatey.zip
Download 7Zip commandline tool
Downloading http://chocolatey.org/7za.exe to
C:\Users\EDREAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\chocInstall\7za.exe
Extracting
C:\Users\EDREAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\chocInstall\chocolatey.zip
to C:\Users\EDREAM~1\AppData\Local
\Temp\chocolatey\chocInstall...

7-Zip (A) 9.20  Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov  2010-11-18

Processing archive:
C:\Users\EDREAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\chocInstall\chocolatey.zip

Extracting  _rels\.rels
Extracting  chocolatey.nuspec
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateysetup.psm1
Extracting  tools\init.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\chocolatey.cmd
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\chocolatey.config
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\chocolatey.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\LICENSE.txt
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\NuGet.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\NuGet.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Append-Log.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Cygwin.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Help.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Install.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-InstallAll.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-InstallExtension.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-InstallIfMissing.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-List.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-NuGet.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Pack.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-PackagesConfig.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Push.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Python.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-RubyGem.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Sources.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Uninstall.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Update.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-Version.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-WebPI.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Chocolatey-WindowsFeatures.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Create-InstallLogIfNotExists.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Delete-ExistingErrorLog.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Generate-BinFile.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-ChocolateyBins.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-ConfigValue.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-GlobalConfigValue.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-LatestPackageVersion.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-LongPackageVersion.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-PackageFoldersForPackage.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-PackageFolderVersions.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-SourceArguments.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-Sources.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-UserConfigValue.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Get-VersionsForComparison.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Move-BadInstall.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Remove-BinFile.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Remove-LastInstallLog.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Run-ChocolateyProcess.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Run-ChocolateyPS1.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Run-NuGet.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\functions\Write-UserConfig.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\chocolateyInstaller.psm1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-BinRoot.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-CheckSumValid.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-ChocolateyUnzip.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-ChocolateyWebFile.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-EnvironmentVariable.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-EnvironmentVariableNames.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-FtpFile.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-ProcessorBits.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-UACEnabled.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-VirusCheckValid.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-WebFile.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Get-WebHeaders.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyDesktopLink.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyEnvironmentVariable.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyExplorerMenuItem.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyFileAssociation.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyInstallPackage.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyPackage.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyPath.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyPinnedTaskBarItem.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyPowershellCommand.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyVsixPackage.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Install-ChocolateyZipPackage.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Set-EnvironmentVariable.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Start-ChocolateyProcessAsAdmin.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Test-ProcessAdminRights.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Uninstall-ChocolateyPackage.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\UnInstall-ChocolateyZipPackage.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Update-SessionEnvironment.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Write-ChocolateyFailure.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Write-ChocolateySuccess.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Write-Debug.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Write-Error.ps1
Extracting
tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Write-FileUpdateLog.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\helpers\functions\Write-Host.ps1
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\choco.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\choco.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\chocolatey.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\chocolatey.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cinst.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cinst.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\clist.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\clist.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cpack.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cpack.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cpush.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cpush.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cuninst.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cuninst.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cup.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cup.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cver.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\cver.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\redirects\RefreshEnv.cmd
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\7za.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\7za.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\7za.exe.manifest
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\7zip.license.txt
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\checksum.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\checksum.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\checksum.license.txt
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\shimgen.exe
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\shimgen.exe.ignore
Extracting  tools\chocolateyInstall\tools\shimgen.license.txt
Extracting
package\services\metadata\core-properties\76d3f3bbe9a640538ceffb48cbfdb8ba.psmdcp
Extracting  [Content_Types].xml

Everything is Ok

Files: 119
Size:       2655955
Compressed: 984910
Installing chocolatey on this machine
Creating ChocolateyInstall as an Environment variable (targeting 'Machine')
and setting it to 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey
'
We are setting up the Chocolatey repository for NuGet packages that should
be at the machine level. Think executables/ap
plication packages, not library packages.
That is what Chocolatey NuGet goodness is for. The repository is set up at
'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey'.
The packages themselves go to 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib' (i.e.
C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\yourPackageName).
A shim file for the command line goes to 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin'
and points to an executable in 'C:\ProgramData\
chocolatey\lib\yourPackageName'.

Creating Chocolatey NuGet folders if they do not already exist.

Copying the contents of
'C:\Users\edreamleo\AppData\Local\Temp\chocolatey\chocInstall\tools\chocolateyInstall'

to 'C:\Pr
ogramData\chocolatey'.
Chocolatey is now ready.
You can call chocolatey from anywhere, command line or powershell by typing
choco.
Run choco /? for a list of functions.
You may need to shut down and restart powershell and/or consoles first
prior to using chocolatey.
Ensuring chocolatey commands are on the path

C:\Windows\system32>
C:\Windows\system32>SET PATH=%PATH%;%systemdrive%\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin

C:\Windows\system32>cinst nuget.commandline
Chocolatey (v0.9.8.27) is installing 'nuget.commandline' and dependencies.
By installing you accept the license for 'nug
et.commandline' and each dependency you are installing.
'NuGet.CommandLine 2.8.2' already installed.
If you want to reinstall the current version of an existing package, please
use the -force command.

Finished installing 'nuget.commandline' and dependencies - if errors not
shown in console, none detected. Check log for
errors if unsure.

C:\Windows\system32>cinst pyqt4
Chocolatey (v0.9.8.27) is installing 'pyqt4' and dependencies. By
installing you accept the license for 'pyqt4' and each
 dependency you are installing.
'pyqt4 4.10.3.20130918' already installed.
If you want to reinstall the current version of an existing package, please
use the -force command.

Finished installing 'pyqt4' and dependencies - if errors not shown in
console, none detected. Check log for errors if un
sure.

C:\Windows\system32>cinst pip
Chocolatey (v0.9.8.27) is installing 'pip' and dependencies. By installing
you accept the license for 'pip' and each dep
endency you are installing.

easy.install v0.6.11.4
PATH environment variable does not have C:\Python27\Scripts in it. Adding...
Setting PYTHONHOME environment variable to 'C:\Python27'
PS: PYTHONHOME variable is not required to Python works, but it is a good
practice to have it.
Using python home at 'C:\Python27'

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name
----                -------------     ------ ----
d----        10/13/2014     11:30            easy.install
Write-Error : easy.install did not finish successfully. Boo to the
chocolatey gods!
-----------------------
[ERROR] Method invocation failed because [System.Object[]] doesn't contain
a method named 'Replace'.
-----------------------
At
C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\chocolateyinstall\helpers\functions\Write-ChocolateyFailure.ps1:30

char:14
+   Write-Error <<<<  $errorMessage
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error],
WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId :
Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Write-Error

Write-Error : Package 'easy.install v0.6.11.4' did not install
successfully: Method invocation failed because [System.O
bject[]] doesn't contain a method named 'Replace'.
At
C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\chocolateyinstall\functions\Chocolatey-NuGet.ps1:90
char:28
+                 Write-Error <<<<  "Package `'$installedPackageName
v$installedPackageVersion`' did not install succes
sfully: $($_.Exception.Message)"
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error],
WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId :
Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Write-Error

pip v1.2.0

C:\Windows\system32>rem ** choose easy_install26/27/32
d----        10/13/2014     11:30            pip
pip has finished successfully! The chocolatey gods have answered your
request!
Finished installing 'pip' and dependencies - if errors not shown in
console, none detected. Check log for errors if unsu
re.

C:\Windows\system32>pushd C:\Python27\

C:\Python27>.\Scripts\pip install
https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master.zip
Downloading/unpacking
https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master.zip
  Downloading master.zip (unknown size): 8.5MB downloaded
  Running setup.py egg_info for package from
https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master.zip

    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found under
directory 'leo'
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyo' found under
directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.tix' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.dbm' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.conf' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.TXT' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.def' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.six' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.cat' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.pro' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.rix' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.alg' under directory 'leo'
    warning: no files found matching '*.iix' under directory 'leo'
    no previously-included directories found matching 'leo\__pycache__'
    no previously-included directories found matching 'leo\*\__pycache__'
Installing collected packages: leo
  Running setup.py install for leo

[...]
    Installing leoc-script.py script to c:\python27\Scripts
    Installing leoc.exe script to c:\python27\Scripts
    Installing leoc.exe.manifest script to c:\python27\Scripts
    Installing leo-script.pyw script to c:\python27\Scripts
    Installing leo.exe script to c:\python27\Scripts
    Installing leo.exe.manifest script to c:\python27\Scripts
Successfully installed leo
Cleaning up...

C:\Python27>popd

C:\Windows\System32>move C:\Python27 D:\Python27
The device is not ready.

C:\Windows\System32>pushd D:\Python27
The device is not ready.

C:\Windows\System32>pythonw -c "import leo.core.runLeo;
leo.core.runLeo.run()"
'pythonw' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\System32>
QQQQQ

I can't say I'm overly impressed with the choco gods.

It looks like I'll have to reinstall Python27.

Otoh, there is folder C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib which contains folders
for nuget, pip, and pyqt4.4 and python 2.7.2, so maybe things *almost*
worked.  Any idea what happened and what I should do?