I'm having second thoughts about the wisdom of merging VR and VR2 into VR3,
for the following reasons:

1. The code bases are significantly different, despite similarities.

2. Most people will strongly prefer one or the other.

3. There is no great need for the merger.  In fact, it's possible to enable
both at once, and nothing awful will happen.

4. Keeping the plugins separate will allow independent development.

Unless I hear convincing reasons to do otherwise, I am going to close #303
and move the VR3 code to the attic.