​​
On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 5:24 PM, lewis <lewisn...@operamail.com> wrote:

I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that vr3 was the future and
> that vr + vr2 were headed for the attic.

​That was the original plan.  This proposal it an acknowledgement that this
plan wasn't working.

The plain fact of the matter is that I have made more progress on improving
vr in the last day or so than in the previous year.  Why?  Because I simply
focused on vr.

Merging vr and vr2 is a hard project. Perhaps a new kind of Leo tool would
help, but  I don't know what such a thing would be. It's in the back of my
mind...
​

> So now would be a good time to summarize the actual feature sets or
> differentiating features of vr, vr2 and vr3.

You can read the vr and vr2 docstrings to see the differences.  Better,
simply run vr2 to see the new features it offers.

More importantly in practice, vr is based on a QtWebKitWidgets.QWebView
(Qt5 terminology, per leoQt.py). vr2 is based on a
QtWebKitWidgets.QWebView().  At present, vr2 does not work with PyQt5.
Substantial porting would be required.

Updating the plugins documentation and http://leoeditor.com/plugins.
> html#viewrendered-py to keep users aware of PyQt5 issues would be helpful.

​True.  vr2 now refuses to run (and tells why) when PyQt5 is in effect.
​

> Terry made a proposal
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/leo-editor/6EVF4Rw8o_I> to
> include python/Qt compatibility and maintenance status in the docstrings.

​That's a separate issue.  In practice, such standards are difficult to
maintain over time, even if somebody enforces them once.