Hi Edward,

installer
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/leo-editor/uMa1zbxyoEY>.
I hope you will bear with me as I suggest some improvements to the install
procedures. I know you have the view that "Instead, installing the latest
version of Leo using git will likely be much simpler, especially after
installing Anaconda first.
In the time you have spent futzing with installers, you could have
installed Anaconda and git, and even learned the rudiments of git."

However this isn't what a newbie is encouraged to do when they correctly go
to Leos docs and try to install.

*First* - at Downloading, Installing & Running Leo (
http://leoeditor.com/getting-started.html )
 > Downloading Leo http://leoeditor.com/download.html
Installing Leo
  > Installing Leo itself (
http://leoeditor.com/installing.html#installing-leo-itself ) is actually an
*obsolete
duplicate* of Downloading Leo. Some of it's links are very out of date.
*I think you can remove 'Installing Leo itself' from the docs.*

Here are reasons why it is obsolete (and why Todd and Ross are maybe
frustrated..... )
My suggestions are in *italics*, and explain why it's best to remove this
section:

 1. Download the latest stable release from SourceForge. This release
contains an executable installer. This release will usually be a bit out of
date.
   * (the stable release link here is out of date. It goes to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/files/Leo/4.11%20final/ which resolves
to https://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/files/*
*There is no executable installer in leo-5.4.zip (9.3MB)** There is no
other executable installer here unless you got to the 5.4-final folder.)*
    *Suggestion - remove the extra link to Sourceforge.net - It serves no
purpose relevant to installing Leo.*

 2. Download a nightly snapshot from Leo’s snapshots page. This page
contains .zip archives of Leo’s code from 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 and 90 days ago.
* Suggestion - remove the extra link to snapshots. The link should be
updated from http://www.greygreen.org/leo/ to
http://leoeditor.com/download.html#snapshots*

 3. Download Leo’s latest sources from GitHub using git. Installing git is
easy, and once set up this is the easiest way to get the latest version of
Leo’s code:

*Second* - If I go from the homepage to [Download Leo]
http://leoeditor.com/download.html
A few obsolete links here. Good news - the snapshot links at 2. are up to
date :)
Leo’s core code is always being improved and developed. Unit-testing
ensures that the daily commits are as bug-free as possible (*Suggestion -
remove this does a newbie really need this detail?*). Almost all of the
time, downloading Leo’s latest sources
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor> from GitHub
<https://github.com/leo-editor> (*Suggestion - remove these Giuthub links.
They are too early, and take you to git with NO instructions*) is going to
give you code that is *more stable* than the most recent latest stable
release <https://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/files/Leo/>. *Stable releases
become outdated almost immediately*. (*Suggestion - again, remove stable
release links. They are duplicates, increasing maintenance*)
If you are just checking Leo out, feel free to use the latest stable
release download if it makes you feel more secure, but once you’ve decided
to work with Leo on a regular basis, we highly recommend regularly keeping
your installation up to date with the most recent nightly snapshot
<http://www.greygreen.org/leo/>, (*Suggestion - again, remove obsolete
release links. They are duplicates, increasing maintenance*) or even
better, Leo’s latest sources <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor>
from GitHub <https://github.com/leo-editor> (*Suggestion - again, remove
Github links. They are duplicates, increasing maintenance*).... [snip]

Surely most newbies would follow this advice as it appears simple. Simple
is good, the least threatening, and free of suggestions to use git. However
it is *not explicit* about what to download. You need to go down to the
5.4-final folder for a windows executable installer. It's here that Ross
went to *'Quick install'* and ended up with ver 5.2 Leo. *Suggestion -
focus on the latest Leo you know and love, and archive the old versions.
Users won't go to 'Archive' would they? surely not ;)*

*Suggestion - If you really want to encourage people to use Git maybe a
more focussed page would help the take-up. Hey, you even encouraged me to
use it!*Hope you appreciate my comments. I found it hard to get all this
down as I almost got a headache discovering the duplicate sections etc. I
don't envy anyone doing docs.
This is always a hard issue to deal with and I look forward to your
comments and any other comments from Leo users.

Many Thanks
Lewis