On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 1:17:16 AM UTC+8, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> ​On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 8:48 PM,
> ​​
> Satish Goda <satis...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> ​​I have used Jupyter notebooks sparingly, but I do like their utility
>> and interactivity.
>>
>> At my workplace last year, I have successfully integrated Pyzo in my team
>> for interactive python debugging and testing workflows.
>>

> ​I am studying Pyzo right now.  I am super impressed with their python
> parser and syntax highlighter. The code is brilliantly simple.  Leo has to
> use this approach. It's much, much faster than Leo's.
>
> Cells are also cool, as is IPython integration.   It should be easy to
> have Pyzo recognize Leo nodes as cells.  Just treat #+node like ##.
>
> Pyzo is a serious competitor to Leo, and is also an inspiration for Leo.
> Indeed, Leo can now longer settle for wimpy IPython integration.  Leo must
> have an IPython pane, as in Pyzo.  This requires heavy lifting, with yoton
> <https://bitbucket.org/iep-project/yoton>, kernels, etc. The details are
> complex, and I don't understand them yet.
>
> ​> ​
> As you said, a Leo @jupyter node's children could be executable cells!
>
> ​There is a lot going on in my mind about this.  It's not entirely clear
> what Leo's new gui is going to be like.  This is the important thing at the
> design level.  If Leo is going to supplement either IPython or Pyzo, it
> must, in some sense, be as easy to use as they are.
>
> The technical side is also going to be interesting/challenging.  I'm not
> sure how to proceed. One possibility would be to add some prototyping code
> to Pyzo.  Or vice versa: add some prototyping code to Leo.
>
> In my mind, this is a super important project.  For me, Leo must support
> IPython and Jupyter.  Otherwise, Leo can never be main stream.  As a
> result, this project is worth any amount of work.
>
> Naturally, I won't just start hacking away on code (except for minor
> prototypes).  The main goal is to support Jupyter notebooks as well as
> humanly possible.  This goal isn't about code, it's about design.
>
> Many thanks, ​Satish, for this post.  It seems to have come at the perfect
> time to inspire me, both at the code level and the design level.
>

> All comments welcome, Amigos.
>
> Edward

My pleasure Edward. I am exclusively using Leo since two months (not even
Pyzo/PyCharm) as I am able to document my thoughts and move things around
easily (non destructively via clone nodes). The executing of code and its
output is something we could address in 2017 with a revised code/execution
architecture.

I am also studying thoroughly jupyter/yoton and leo and hopefully I can
bring more ideas to the table.