      From: Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com>
 To: leo-editor <leo-editor@googlegroups.com>
 Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:47 PM
 Subject: Leo vs org mode

A brief comparison of Leo and org mode.

Org mode has these strengths:

- Drawers: visible, pure text, easily extensible uA's.
- Agendas and tables.
- In-pane rendering of Latex and special symbols.
- Support for multiple source languages, including shell scripts, C, etc.
- Code blocks, with arguments.
- Result blocks.

Leo will have all of the above this year. Leo has its own strengths:

- Automatic tangling when saving files.
- @others, missing from org mode's noweb markup.
- Untangling: automatic update of @file nodes. Completely missing from org mode.
  In essence, all org mode files are @nosent files.
- Importers. There are importers, but apparently none for programming languages.
- Clones and especially clone-find commands.
- API: org mode does have a hacking api. It's oriented towards parsing body
text.
- DOM: org mode simulates a DOM with filters. Org mode data is fundamentally
text.
- Python scripting, including a python plugin architecture.

There may be more ;-)

Conclusion: It may still be true, in some limited areas, that Leo can do things
that can even be thought in org mode.  However, that statement is no longer
generally true, and I'll remove it from all future documentation.

All additions and corrections welcome.