> From: Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com>> To: leo-editor
> <leo-editor@googlegroups.com> > Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 1:21 PM>
> Subject: Leo 5.5 will challenge org mode> > In another thread I wrote:> > >
> Perhaps [ A Brief Summary of Leo] should be rewritten in the org-mode intro
> style, but that's for some other time.> > Actually, now is the time.> > My
> competitive juices are flowing. The new intro will directly challenge org
> mode. It will do this by showing, with numerous examples, why Leo is already
> superior to org mode for scientific computation. Scientists can design there
> own Leonine sub-outlines that represent computations and operations.
I'm pleased to hear we're back to Leo being an alternative to, rather than a
copy of, Emacs :-) > @button, Leo's API and Leo's DOM, combined with python
scripting, are much more convenient and powerful than org-mode.  Simplicity and
generality are more important than a org-mode features.  Leo most definitely
has the chops to support reproducible research, or any other buzzword one wants
to use.> > Leo 5.5 will have an execute-script-in-common-namespace command.
This can be added with only a few lines of code. It's needed to simulate
pyzo/jupyter/org mode calculations.
vs-eval / vs-last / vs-pretty do this.  I added them to the inscrutable
valuespace plugin because it already creates a common namespace (c.vs), but
really they should be separate, seeing they're straight forward and easy to
understand, unlike the rest of valuespace ;-)
> Leo 5.5 will also have a show-drawer command. It will pop up a window showing
> a special 'core-drawer' uA. Saving the popup will update the uA.  No need for
> changes to Leo's body pane.
Sort of like the attrib_edit plugin ;-)
Cheers -Terry