      From: Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com>
 To: leo-editor <leo-editor@googlegroups.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 12:54 PM
 Subject: Proposal: simplify style sheets for Leo 5.6, or maybe 5.5b1

This is a revision of this comment to #350.

Today's escapades with themes convinces me that Leo's stylesheet machinery is
on the verge of being impossible to understand. This is not entirely Leo's
fault. Qt gives no hint about where syntax errors in stylesheets lie.

Imo, Leo needs to dispense with substitutions in style sheets. The only
question is when.
Yes, this will make it harder to make systematic changes to, say, fonts. But
the present situation is intolerable. If I'm thoroughly confused, even after
using all of Leo's clone machinery to clarify things in leoSettings and
myLeoSettings, then what on earth is a poor newbie to do?

The good news, perhaps, is that many style-related settings can just disappear.
 Many other settings, including syntax-coloring settings, will remain. But I
think that appearance related settings must go.  They are way too confusing.
This proposal will not affect the make-theme button in themes.leo.  However,
the result of running that button, namely the actual @data
qt-gui-user-style-sheet node, will be simpler, because there won't be any
@setting redirections. It will be clear exactly what styles and colors will be
used.  The user can make any desired changes, free from interference from other
settings.

Before writing this post I was thinking that I could leave this for Leo 5.6.
But I am now considering moving to "static" style sheets for 5.5b1. The fact
that I can not be sure of the effect of my own settings on stylesheets seems
like the last straw.

Your comments, please.