For about half of my SSH work my files are on what is called the "primary
network", which is accessible to all windows workstations (where I sit) and
a few authorized more powerful and capable Linux workstation/servers. When
I'm accessing these particular remote Linux workstations through PuTTY, I
do use Leo because my machine has access to the same network shares that
the Linux servers do.

In many large corporations it is difficult to get a new piece of hardware
blessed to join the "primary network", but the pace of business is such
that we have to use new hardware far before jumping through the hoops of
getting something hardened by security. In these cases we will set up an
"offline" network (usually in labs) which connects to workstation already
on the "primary network". The idea is that if the other workstations do not
have direct access to the internet and they're only being remotely accessed
through hardware that's already been locked down by IT.

A lot of my recent work has been on Linux workstations/servers on these
offline networks. These require two levels of SSH to pass through. SSH to
secured computer on corporate network, then SSH to offline workstations. In
fact I usually have several PuTTY terminals open at once, one of them is
always the node the "offline" computers are connected to. I then
painstakingly haul over everything I need by means of scp/rsync.

So the whole thing is a bit ugly and setting up network file sharing to the
"offline" hardware with NFS/sshfs starts to get sketchy from a security
standpoint.

Initially I attempted to do all my editing on files on the "primary"
network and then scp/rsync them over to the "offline" workstations but I
quickly lost the discipline due to the need for quick edits, instead opting
for terminal based editing facilities.

That's where I'm at, one of the only solutions I can think of longterm is
having a localized (offline) terminal based outlining editing tool. I think
there are only two candidates, Leo + full terminal UI or emacs + leo-mode.
I think they both involve a lot of work.

I think ideally Leo would gain a full terminal UI. I'm personally waiting
for Jonathan Slenders to finish python-prompt-toolkit 2.0 because he is
rewriting huge portions of it to make it easier to write full screen
terminal applications. He had already the 0.x and 1.x versions to write
PyMux and PyVim but really he was the only one capable of coercing
python-prompt-toolkit to producing full screen terminal applications.