The absence of this feature is the only thing that is preventing me from
using leo as a password store

It would be very cool if we could encrypt both the text and the structure
of nodes marked @encrypt and present a dialog box requesting the
key/password to decrypt and use the outline tree.  The section in the
actual .leo file would need to be stored as encrypted text however as
simply having a password tacked on the node could be circumvented by
looking at the raw xml.

Although it may not be state of the art, and is in many cases crackable
with patience, a Vigenère would be easy enough to implement. It would also
deter a casual snoop.

If the option was also given to enforce the use of the leo users id as part
of the key/password it would also provide an additional level of
authentication/security.

Just an idea
    Paran