On Wed, 24 May 2017 11:51:31 -0500
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Eric S. Johansson
> <ynotlayab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> why are doc strings preferred to@doc/@code pairing​?
>
> ​​Because ​docstrings are preferred to comments in python.
>
> Back when I used cweb, I really like the ability produce a document
> that was also executable. Leo, doesn't really do that.
>
> ​That's news to me :-)
> ​
> it's not really literate programming.
>
> ​I agree.  Imo, Leo redefines LP. As I write in the history of Leo, ​

My impression is that literate programming in the sense of mixing docs.
and code has really fallen out of favor for things like software, but
is very popular for analysis exercises, as in R-markdown with knitr
and also Jupyter notebooks.  In these cases it's not just
docs / code / docs / code / docs ... but
docs / code / table / docs / code / plot / ...

I'm actually fiddling with this project:
https://github.com/tbnorth/pypanart which tries to get a Python only (no R)
pipeline
to producing manuscripts from markdown - it seems to me that Jupyter
stops short of manuscripts, stopping at the internal report stage, but
maybe I just don't know it well enough.

Note that my project and the R pipeline and maybe Jupyter, don't know,
all rely on pandoc.