I gave up on that approach, decided it would be better to make specific
transformers to get exactly the output I want.

Here is a project with a transformer for the Moby Shakespeare xml. I'm
planning to make a bunch more, for each xml format just need to write the
xsl.
https://github.com/kaleguy/xml2leo

The result in Leo Viewer:
https://kaleguy.github.io/leoviewer/?filename=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kaleguy/xml2leo/master/output/shakespeare/plays#/t/1/

Question:
If you look an example output file:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kaleguy/xml2leo/master/output/shakespeare/antonycleopatra.leo
You'll see that I didn't use the type of ID specified in the Leo filespec.
I just used the XSL unique id. I was going to write a function to change
those to the leo format (unique datetime) but this seems to work, so was
going to skip it. Is this a problem?

Joe