On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 12:41:34 PM UTC-6, Terry Brown wrote:

> One impediment to routinely running unit tests is that they seem to be
> render your computer unusable for the time they take to run.

True, but that shouldn't be a good enough excuse for not running unit tests.

#503: Use string/null gui for unit tests
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/503> would help a lot.
It's a tricky project, but it would save us all a lot of time.

Another option would be to disable tests that fail when focus changes.

> As a first(*) step to making them less intrusive I'd like to launch
> them from the command line - specifically like this:
>
> DISPLAY=:10 python launchLeo.py leo/test/leoUnittests.leo  --run-tests
>
> or whatever, there are other options maybe using --script or setting an
> environment variable.
>
> Question: is there a way to make Leo run the tests from the command
> line currently?  Or is pressing Alt-4 required?

The  --script=SCRIPT option might be pressed into service, but I think #503
is the best way in the long run.

And no, I don't remember what --script=SCRIPT does ;-)