> These are preliminary thoughts.  All comments welcome.
>

>From my weak understanding of Leo, this seems like a good approach.
Regarding section titles, it might be worth it to have two differing
approaches:
- If the Markdown nodes don't have any heading markings (#, ##, etc.),
build titles based on indentation level and headlines the way it's usually
done with rST.
- If there are headings in some or all of the Markdown nodes, use these
instead and don't build titles at all (this way, one can deliberately
override automatic title/level handling).

When you save Leo document, a file named mymdfile.md will be created and it
> will contain your markdown content.
> For conversion in html you can use some other tool like pelican
> <http://docs.getpelican.com/en/stable/index.html#>.

Actually, this mostly solves the problem in my case - I'm a Ulysses user,
so ultimately once I have a clean .md file export is trivial (and Ulysses's
GUI for export configuration is pretty great). But this is a solution
specific to the tools I have at hand, and although Leo probably shouldn't
thrive to have this much granularity (at least not at first), I think it'd
still be a good thing for it to be able to export HTML from Markdown
natively.

Thanks for the input and information, this has helped a lot!