On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 4:41:30 AM UTC-6, Edward K. Ream wrote:

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 3:54 AM, vitalije <vitali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding js importing, after some research about the topic, I concluded
>> it is not possible/practical to make perfect js importer that can fully
>> import javascript code on its own.

> Doing it right would require building complete AI for this problem space
>> and perhaps dealing with neural networks feeding them with big data
>> collected from github and other source code repositories.

I want to emphasize that js_i.starts_block and js_i.scan_line are the *only
*code involved in the AI. If there are errors in the present code, only
these two methods will change.

The code looks for *whole lines* of a certain form, namely lines whose
parens and/or curly brackets counts change and which also have 'function'
in the line.  As I re-read the code, I see that it might be possible to
contrive an example where this strategy fails.

If real (not imagined) problems arise, they can be dealt with in
js_i.starts_block and js_i.scan_line. As an extreme measure, js_i.scan_line
could set an ivar that tells whether "function" appears outside of any
string.

In short, the present importer framework is robust and flexible.  I will
reject other approaches unless real, impossible-to-fix problems are found.