The following consists of edited versions of old emails from Bernhard
Mulder, Miles Fidelman and HansBKK.  I am creating this post to offload
lengthy details from #668
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/668>.  His ideas continue
to be inspiring.

These emails are quite old. Bernhard died about 10 years ago. The wiki
world has surely changed since then.  Updated comments would be
appreciated. Feel free to comment as you like, here, or in a separate
thread.

*Bernhard Mulder*

It ought to be possible to unite Leo with wiki features.

tiddlywiki <https://tiddlywiki.com/> provide formatting features mentioned
in [a dead SourceForge link].

moinmoin <https://moinmo.in/MoinMoin> has started to use a graphical
interface for editing in the latest version.

Maybe Leo can be split up into three components:

1. A storage component is responsible for storing nodes. Currently, this is
just memory, but databases like shelve, Zope or sqlite should also be
possible.

2. The control component is responsible for converting from the internal
format to external files which can be processed by existing compilers,
searching within a document, and the like.

3. A display component is responsible for interfacing with the user. If can
be [Qt], but it can also be something like the tiddlywiki interface, which
immediately shows the formatting applied to text.

As an intermediate step, maybe we could allow mixing RST processing with
regular program text.  Leo would produce two documents out of a source
file: a version for the compiler in plain ascii, and an HTML file for
reading the source.

*Miles Fidelman*

Here are some details about my Smart Notebooks
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1947703258/smart-notebooks-keeping-on-the-same-page-across-th>

project:

The basic model is synchronized copies of documents, linked by an
asynchronous pub-sub channel. Think of a personal Wiki (like TiddlyWiki)
linked to copies of itself. Compose a document, email copies to
collaborators. Everyone saves a local copy, which link to each other via a
pub-sub protocol to distribute updates.  All in JavaScript, embedded in the
"smart documents" - nothing special to install.

Andy Oram wrote a background piece
<http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/08/smart-notebooks-for-linking-virtual-teams-across-the-net.html>

for O'Reilly Radar.

*HansBKK*

Leo could push Leo-derived content to DokuWiki
<https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki#> as a platform for "wiki-publishing" to
enable collaborative/community editing of content.  See Leo doc-generation
and Wiki integration - GitIt and Pandoc.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/leo-editor/fSzVi1Rh5Tg$2Fuu85satgb9YJ/leo-editor/588LF2ytnBg/1QqNMaLfff8J>

I've also talked about the markup syntax/doc generation tool Txt2tags
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/leo-editor/txt2tags/leo-editor/nNEnxoohFBM/XkMPQhqhDRsJ>
.

The Gitit <https://github.com/jgm/gitit#readme>wiki platform, like
DokuWiki, also uses plain-text files rather than a database back-end, and
integrates with git, mercurial, and darcs <http://darcs.net/>.

Gitit also incorporates the Pandoc for its markup syntax, therefore
enabling not only markdown but rST as a master source input format, while
DokuWiki has its own, unique, markup syntax.

I may be worthwhile to switch my "master source" content syntax from
Txt2tags to rST. The only downsides are that Gitit is a Haskell project
rather than Python, and one thing I like about Txt2tags is its support for
conversion to AsciiDoc, rather than Pandoc's direct output to full-blown
DocBook XML - but apparently even that's in the works in Pandoc's dev
version.