On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 02:51:57 -0800 (PST)
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. With a few exceptions, I eliminated settings used in only one
> place. Now the value of the setting used directly in the css, in the
> proper node. This value might still be an @ constant, but this
> eliminates one level of settings indirection hell.

A reason to retain single use @ constants would be allowing users to
change things by editing a single setting, rather than having to grok a
Qt stylesheet.

I know there are varying views of its utility, but the
Settings -> Edit Settings -> Colors -> etc. menu is supposed to make
this sort of thing easy.

If we at some time decided to have a preferences GUI (which I know
we've steered away from in the past) I think it would use the same
underlying mechanism used by the Settings -> Edit Settings menu, just
in a categorized panel kind of view.  So it would still need the single
use substitutions to insert values into the stylesheet.  This is a bit
tangential, just mentioning it as part of the how to make settings
accessible to newbies issue.