On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Thomas Passin <tbp100...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just went through a really painful experience when I adopted a dark
> theme.

​I agree with Terry, this is excellent feedback.  Here are some ideas.

*Color samples directly in Leo*

Understanding colors is always going to be a chore. But here are a few
ideas.

1. Try Leo's show-color-wheel command.

2. Here's how to see a sample of the defined color in the VR pane:

@color dark-base0 = #fdffdd

Body:

@language md

Voila, the VR pane contains a color swatch!

I shall do this for all the standard color definitions in leoSettings.leo
and in theme files. A color;; abbreviation could be used, but in this case
cut/paste will be good enough.

*Simplifying style sheets*

This is an ongoing project.  Just today I realized (Doh) that QTreeWidget
is a subclass of QTreeView.  As a result, all css for QTreeWidget can be
eliminated in my personal css.

The goal is to use as *little* css as possible.  Again, I have just put
this into practice today, and shall update the two example themes soon.

> I think this might be something that people like Ed don't appreciate
enough:  most of us aren't familiar with the details of this machinery, and
it doesn't seem to be explained well anywhere findable when we want it.

I too forget details.  Everything I do aims at making things as simple as
possible.  This is the third major iteration in designing themes.  Things
seem to be getting a bit better.

Making themes standalone .leo files should help considerably.

I'll continue to work on this project until no further simplifications are
apparent.

Thanks for your comments.  We all have trouble understanding what Leo can
already do.  Color swatches are a cute touch and would not have happened
without you.