The FROM email address and the date stamp would be unique enough, wouldn't
it?

See I don't need complete or fancy. All I need is the five bits of info. I
don't even care about the text/html split in the body that emails all tend
to sport these days. I just want the text. There is a boatload of meta
information in a mail header that I simply don't care about.

mbox is like .rtf for example. Every single word processor since Wordstar
can import/export rtf flawlessly. If TNEF or whatever other extension is
important to you and whatever email client you use won't push that to mbox
then further work, perhaps a converter from pst, for example, would be
required.

The email I intend to process comes from a wide variety of sources, as
email is known to do. By keeping what I want as a core subset of all email
and not worrying about everyone's special proprietary extensions I can be
guaranteed that an email will never lack for what I want from it, even if
that is an empty string.

Once an email is in Leo as a node it can easily be sorted using whatever
scheme a person could come up with using clones, backlinks, python scripts
etc. I could see having a @mail node being a common feature of a wide
number of different files. Maybe not programming files but pretty much
every other information management task would likely benefit.

Chris