> every time anybody switches from email to some closed, web-based service,
>> membership & traffic drops off tremendously (even with email
>> notifications).  People continue to use email lists because they work.
>> Nothing works as well as a good email list, with a searchable archive.  My
>> advice:  Don't.  Just don't.
>>
>> Thanks for this advice.  Any comments?

Mile's observation is valid and real. Google Groups works as well as it
does because we can choose to use email client or browser editor, and
switch back and forth at whim. Though I almost always use browser to 'talk'
I still keep my email subscription active, so I have a personal backup in
the event Groups is inaccessible, temporarily or permanent.

My chief attractions to Discourse are:

   - the prospect of being able to refactor and split threads, while
   keeping them linked
   - Being able to edit posts, like wiki
   - Liking posts, creating a signal people can use for understanding how
   important that idea is to the community
   - Excellent browser editor
   - Web experience in general is better and smoother than any other other
   forum I've used (inc. Google Groups)
   - Track record of the lead developer (a primary creator of Stack
   Overflow).

Github Issues has all of these functions, and many other attractions like
interacting with the code repo directly. Plus, very significantly, being
able to track and respond by email. Discourse doesn't do this, on purpose.
I'm not sure I like that.

I think GH is probably a better platform for Leo overall, with one major
and fatal flaw: mixing discussion and issues in the same place would pretty
much kill issues as a focussing and driving forward tool. (It occurs to me
now that one could create a new GH repo whose sole purpose was community
discussion. Or use an old one, like the leo-editor-blog.)

-matt